» About Us

NMTA Meeting Minutes from November 19, 2006

These minutes were reviewed and approved by the NMTA Board on Jan. 28, 2007.

NMTA Annual Meeting
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Minutes

Present: Ruth Smith, Terry Parks, Keith Bushy, Faith Gavaldon, Bryn Lynch, Mary Sivula, Margaret Ruemenapp, Sue Selke, Dick Ruemenapp, Jennifer Sherman-Gerling, Ann Onello, Pat Blewett, Rochelle Cotey, Lloyd Cook, Cindy Goldsmith, Ken Ritthaller, Vickie Lampel, Jean Bishop

The meeting was called to order at 3:23 p.m. by Mary Sivula.

Everyone introduced themselves. Mary Sivula asked if there were anything to be added to the agenda and several items were subsequently added. It was suggested that we read through the reports provided with the meeting packets for additions and deletions.

Dick Ruemenapp moved to accept the September minutes and Terry Parks seconded the motion with all in favor.

Treasurer’s Report: The report was included in the meeting packet and a majority of income and expense has been reported for 2006. Terry Parks moved to put the Treasurer’s Report on file and Bryn Lynch seconded.

Election of Officers: Margaret Ruemenapp thanked the Nominating Committee for presenting the slate of officers. The following were elected or reelected: First Vice President, Terry Parks; Second Vice President, Bryn Lynch; Third Vice President, Tom VanDeinse; Treasurer, Dick Ruemenapp; Secretary Ann Onello.

Margaret Ruemenapp and Marilynn Smith created a Power Point presentation to be shown at the Executive Director’s and District President’s Joint Meeting at the Midwest Annual Meeting the first weekend in December in Indianapolis. It includes our Mission and Vision for NMTA for 2007 along with trends and targets and methods to reach same. Anyone wishing a copy need only ask.

Committee Reports:

Adult League: Keith Bushy spoke in Peggy Bushy’s place. He presented a proposal for increasing the League Director’s salary to bring it more into line with hours spent. The issue has been tabled and will be discussed at the January meeting.

The USTA League Committee will meet December 4 at 6 p.m. at the YMCA. One of the issues to be discussed at that time will be a team deposit guaranteeing that teams will participate.

Communications: Jennifer Moore and Ruth Smith are working on the domain change. In the process of that change Tennis Up North information has been temporarily misplaced.

Junior Competitive: No report

Grants: No report

District Endorsers: No report

Diversity: We received $1175.00 DIF funding which is 75% of possible funds for this lever. Our hard work in this area paid dividends.

Officials: Bryn Lynch requested that NMTA pay 50% of the new shirt cost, plus shipping and handling, a requirement for our officials in 2007. Bryn Lynch moved and Ann Onello seconded. Motion passed.

Grievance: No Report

Sanction and Schedule: No report

Yearbook: The Yearbook is part of the Executive Director’s responsibilities this year as a requirement for the wage increase. Ads, ideas are welcome. Rochelle Cotey and Pat Blewett will contact high school Upper Peninsula teams for pictures and Vicki Lampel will provide us with Alpena news. It was suggested that post cards be sent to the families of graduating seniors soliciting ads. It was an effective way to order.

Awards: Terry Parks would like even more nominations next year. There was little competition for the junior awards.

Mary Sivula mentioned that evaluation forms were included in our meeting packets. A yearly evaluation for Margaret Ruemenapp and Peggy Bushy is required. These need to be returned to Mary Sivula by December 15.

New Business:

Sue Selke, the Tennis Service Representative for the state of Michigan, spoke about promoting and developing the growth of tennis in Michigan. She reports to the Midwest Section and is in the second year of a three year grant – which she hopes will continue. She is the connection between the District and grassroots development. Sue indicated that her main thrust in an area is “what are you doing” and “what do you need?” There are 90 TSR’s nationwide. By 2010 the USTA would like to have 30 million people playing tennis. Sue Selke’s goals for 2007 are to work on participation and membership. Mary Sivula duly noted that Sue has been a driving force in making connections throughout our area.

Lloyd Cook is the president of the Wisconsin Tennis Association. He also serves on the Budget Committee for the Midwest Section. He presented his simplified DIF proposal. Formerly the District Incentive Funding was based on several levers including diversity and a participation survey. These two particular levers have been eliminated in favor of membership and participation with the emphasis on growing membership through USTA Leagues, Junior Team Tennis and Adult and Junior Tournaments. If we could grow 20% per year for 5 years our membership would double. Lloyd challenged us to think in larger terms and with a “we can do” attitude. Our funds would be tied into direct membership growth and with a smaller (7.5%) percentage tied into retention of adult league members and junior team tennis members.

Ken Ritthaller updated the Board on the Alpena Tennis Association. They are in the process of building two additional courts to their current facility. These new courts will allow for more adult leagues and additional programs for children. They anticipate completion of the facility March 1, 2007. Alpena may be interested in “Welcome Back Parties.”

Ruth Smith requested that NMTA consider taking over the governance of “The Bob” charity tennis tournament held in February in Traverse City. This annual fundraiser, in memory of Bob Swanson, raises funds for scholarships for area junior tennis players who are graduating from high school. Margaret Ruemenapp noted that this event would be a worthy cause for NMTA. The Board is taking this issue under advisement and it will be voted on at the January meeting.

Discussion followed regarding the January meeting. We now have members and Board members from a great geographical distance. January can be a very snowy month. It was suggested that Gaylord be considered as a meeting place. Lloyd Cook suggested that we try a teleconference. It was, after much discussion, decided that our meeting would be held on Sunday, January 28 at 6 p.m. EST via teleconference.

Marilynn Smith moved to adjourn the meeting. It was seconded by Dick Ruemenapp. Meeting was adjourned at 5 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by

Bryn Lynch - Secretary

 

 
 
 
 
 
Close